Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hi and welcome!

This is the first time that I have ever done a blog like this so please work with me as I start!

In May I will be taking about a 2 week trip to Rome, Italy with a class from school and this blog is my attempt to capture the thoughts that I have up to and through the time spent in Italy. There will be some posts that are assignments from class while others will be pieces of my own. I hope that this will be a fun adventure for me as well as for you to read about as I experience different food and culture. In titling my blog I hope to make my first connection between cultures and food as I reference very Italian foods that have become Americanized in certain ways. While in Italy I hope to be able to explore the differences that have come about as these food have crossed the ocean and how the originals are so different than what I am used to in Western Pennsylvania.

As I go through this semester and this blog there may be some books that I reference, a start would be the book Through the Kitchen Window which is edited by Arlene Voski Avakian and is a collection of short stories and recipies that tell the stories of women and their time spent in the kitchen and/or how food has become a part of their life for better or worse.

Please leave comments and thoughts that you have, and I hope that this blog is one that at least makes you smile! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment